Friday, June 18, 2010

Mickey Mouse

My cousin is a huge Mickey Mouse fan. I mean huge. As a result it is hard to find a mickey item she does not already have.

This past Christmas I had a idea. The starting point? 3 Styrofoam balls.

Materials required:

  • 2 smallish Styrofoam balls
  • 1 larger Styrofoam ball
  • 3 bamboo kabob skewers
  • 1 dowel rod
  • 1 unfinished plaque
  • white tissue paper
  • patterned tissue paper (I used party napkins because I could not find tissue paper I liked)
  • modge podge
  • paint
  • 2 paint brushes
  • hot glue
  • varnish
  • wood glue
I tried to get some in progress photos but lets face it I forget to take them when I get wrapped up in a project.

First I started out covering each ball in white tissue paper and modge podge, first paint a one inch area with modge podge, gently place the white tissue paper over the modge podge area and paint with with modge podge. Do this until ball is covered allowing each side to dry before touching any surfaces.

Once the balls have been covered in white begin to repeat this process with patterned paper.

Now for the tricky part. building the head. Cut the 3 skewers in half. Stab 3 skewers into a 1 inch triangle shape on the smallish balls where you want the ears to connect then decide where the ears will connect to the head and stab them in. once in place some hot glue to help hold the ears firmly.

Trim dowel rod to desired length. Drill hole into plaque that is the same diameter as the dowel rod. Fill hole with wood glue. Then paint the base and dowell rod the desired color. Once the base is dry impale the Mickey head onto the dowel rod with the top inch of the rod coated in wood glue. Allow to dry.

Once the glue has dried it is time to varnish the entire piece, this is best done in a well ventilated room. Allow varnish to dry for 1-2 days. (It took me 4 days to finish).

No comments:

Post a Comment